Gurgaon is well known to have power problems. On the drive into work I can see people tapping directly into the municipal power lines overhead. And so far, there is a power outage for approx 2 minutes EVERY NIGHT!
Another daily power struggle is getting into the elevator at work in the morning. There are 10 elevator shafts, divided into two sections. Despite the seemingly large number of opportunities to get into an elevator, it's been really difficult to predict which elevator will actually have room and more often than not, the elevator I am standing in front of is full (at least my version of full as I have repeatedly watched people just walk past me and squeeze in like clowns into a firetruck). If I was a patient person, I would wait for one elevator shaft and probably be on my way in a minute or two. But this is not what I actually do. Instead I scurry between the two banks looking for just the right one and the whole ordeal takes quite a while. Despite the mild bit of frustration, I have found this morning exercise rather comical.
This morning in particular, these two power struggles collided. The service elevator (unfortunately, this is the one I usually end up in) at the office had a power problem. I am not sure if it was a surge or a failure. All I can say is that very few of my sporting events can compare to the adrenaline dump into my bloodstream this morning as that vestibule a hop and a skip up and down the elevator shaft. No more service elevator for me.
At this point I should also point out that I promise not to focus on the banal parts of my life in India. But I do want to include the parts of my day that are either absolutely bizarre or really memorable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your "banal" comments are very entertaining.
One of the most interestingly banal parts of my daily routine has become reading My Indian Baby.
:)hah
Post a Comment