Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pakistan Border

The Pakistan border flag lowering was a spectacle but at the same time, similar to something you may see in Washington DC. There was a particularly large Indian contingent because Jan 26th was India's Republic Day . Keep in mind, India and Pakistan have not had the friendliest past and one person I spoke with explained that the closing of this border crossing is one of the earliest indicators of rising tension.

Megan and I laughed quite a bit when we were pulled out of the crowd and given good seats as VIP's. As it turned out women, children, vertical challenged, elderly - really any person that was not a young male - became a VIP. Though I can't add Pakistan to my list of countries visited, I can now say that I have now looked at Pakistan with my naked eye.

No comments: