Friday, January 18, 2008

Honk Please

So far, my favorite part of the day is driving to and from work; it is a visual orgy. Every day, mass chaos ensues on the road, on the side of the road and even sometimes above the road. Yet, the driver always arrives at the destination without accident (one week of driving and I have yet to see a major accident). To get through each drive I convince myself that the car is armored.

Let's talk about the honking. Being a California driver where the horn is a last resort I originally found the honking totally annoying. Now I realize that noise is way that each driver indicates when a potential accident may happen. Most large trucks even have the words "Honk Please" painted on the back to encourage other drivers to indicate when they are near.

And amazingly, the drivers remain totally calm. Literally, another car can be inches away and both drivers are just calmly checking their mirrors and listening to music. I can't imagine myself ever driving here and I have relinquished all back seat driving authority.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be culturally insensitive. Honking is never OK.