Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics

When I was home in July I attended Blastoff to Beijing where the US Women's Water Polo team trounced Australia. This event caused me to catch Beijing fever so much so I have considered hopping in a plane to China just because I'm so freaking close to the action. Last night I watched the opening ceremonies live, a friend who is the Water Polo sportscaster for NBC has been sending daily Beijing updates and Brian is wandering around complaining about the air quality and looking for tickets to swimming. So.....the fever continues as I live vicariously.

This morning I watched boxing (while waiting for my organic chicken at the French farm), cycling and football on an Indian sports network. Of course, I didn't expect to see coverage of US athletes (that's what the web is for) but I was surprised at how depressing it is to be an Indian watching the Olympics. The two sportscasters update regularly on the Indian athletes progress and none of them have advanced. The opportunities were in archery, shooting and boxing and the commentators use soft voices and the word "disappointing" a lot. This contrast has sparked a surprising athletic patriotism in me that comes out every four years. It may have started in 1984 when Mary Lou Retton rocked the gymnastics competition in Los Angeles but I am so proud to be an American athlete and am really looking forward to the rest of the games.

And, in particular, I really, really, really, really want the Women's Water Polo team to win GOLD!!!!! GO TEAM USA!!!!!

No comments: