Sunday, March 16, 2008

Go-Go Goa

A quick weekend jaunt to Anjuna Beach in Goa with co-workers was exactly what I needed to kick start the longest vacation I've taken in a while. Following an easy flight and harrowing taxi ride from the airport, Scott and I arrived at "The Orange House" in Anjuna. For a cool Rs 600 per night ($15) we got our money's worth; a bed, a fan, a sink, a toilet and a shower. The weather was hot and muggy and the landscape was green and lush . In many ways, I was reminded of other vacations in the beaches/jungles of Mexico and Costa Rica.

For the most part we (there were 9 of us in total) spent two days sitting on the beach, drinking the local brew Kings Pilsner and munching on Indian snacks. The beach was pretty remote and it felt like we were at the end of the world. The highlights included: some rough water swimming in the Arabian Sea, catching a great beach sunset, shopping at a huge international flea market (Ingo), scooting around the back roads of Anjuna while avoiding yak traffic, mendhi henna on the beach and knowing that when I returned to Delhi Mo was waiting at the airport to join me in two weeks of travel all over India.

No comments: